Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Thankful, thanksgiving, giving thanks

A friend complained to me that my posts are becoming quite nonsensical, in fact can be equated to a compose heap. In fact Friend went on to say that it is losing the deep Christian expository trait it used to have.
I have several issues about this.
First, I actually think being equated to a compose heap is a compliment. After all, compose is used to help fertilize the soil to produce good crops / plants and so forth. So, Friend, if you were hoping to injure my pride with that comment, I have news for you : IN YOUR FACE! hahaha!
Secondly, what deep Christian expository trait? I never once tried to obtain this title so I don't know how I could have lost something I never professed to have!?
And thirdly, my blog is nonsensical, because well... it is my blog! I can choose what I want to write and so there... if I want it to be nonsensical, I want it to be nonsensical.
But seriously, there is something that has been on my mind and I was in the midst of writing this before Friend had to put his 2 cents worth.
Moving along..
When you meet someone, the most common question is, 'How are you?' and sometimes I am not sure if we anticipate the answer we may get. What exactly are we hoping for that person to say? More often than not, I am then bombarded with with stories about how the cat terrorized the prized roses, how knees are creaking more than before, how the ulcer in their mouth is hindering them from eating whatever they like eating or that though you are a size 12 yet you are so upset when you gain a pound.
What is it about us that we so effortlessly choose to see the bad in our lives and forsake the good? Seriously, we are so better off than so many ppl out there in the world. Yet what is it really that we lack that makes our lives so unfulfilled or so incontent and ungrateful for what we already have?
I was watching Oprah Winfrey a few days about about women who are addicted to plastic surgery and a woman despite all the liposuction she has had, she feels she is still fat. And after all the eye-opening and self awakening testimonies, she still feels that her life would be more complete if she lost just a little of her thigh. And mind you, she looked like a size 12. Another lady thought her nose was so big that now she can hardly breathe through it... her nasal passage way is so narrow that sometimes she needs to use a cotton bud to open it up to breathe.
This is scary shite!
But then again, there are ppl I know who despite having lost a lot in life has nothing but the best things to say about their lives. GV is a lady in church and is wheelchair bound. She is 78 and though she can actually walk, because her bones are so brittle, she has been advised to use a motorized wheelchair. Her husband JB is 83 and despite his age, he has never complained about always having to dismantle and put together GV's motorized wheelchair. I have helped him on several occasions to put the killer machine together and it is NOT light! The battery itself weighs like 5 kgs... and the man is everyday putting it together and putting it apart for his beloved wife. And without complains.
Now, I am not trying to force feed my religion to anyone who may be reading this who is not a christian... but seriously, the bible teaches us that we are who we are because God made us. And we are given the gifts we are given because it is a special gift He wants for us. Someone used to tell me that when I look in the mirror and I complains about my body, or critise how I look I am telling God He did a lousy job with me. And that is horrifying. I mean, if He can create, He can also uncreate!
There is so much about myself I would love to change, the size of my hips, the size of my feet, the craters on my face but I don't have the money for surgery. And besides I have seen some of the haunting effects, so I am even more terrified to go under the knife. But I can sing... and at some point I consider myself a loyal friend and a good sister... (i don't care what the world says, I am a damn good sister ok!) and sometimes, these things weigh a lot more than my ass. I think. What good can a smaller ass to do my faith or for my friends? Ok, so I take up less space on their chairs... but... then I would take away something that may be a subject in their jokes.
*I am grasping right?
OK... seriously... I think we are so withdrawn in our look in life we forget that there is a bigger picture out there. And until we learn what being outward is, we will never grasp the true meaning of the christian faith, because that is exactly what Jesus was. He was an outward man. He chose to be friends with those at the bottom of the barrel because they were the outcast. They were in need of confidence and assurance that there still was good in them. And there is no greater demonstration of love. So who are we to judge someone else's lack?
And what eats me even more is when something good happens to us, we forget who is our Source and Provider. We bask in our glory but we forget that all glory belongs to Someone else. And I personally think, that is the greatest tragedy - the inability to be grateful for what we have.
Colossians 3:16-18 (New International Version)
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.


Ephesians 5:19-21 (New International Version)
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Howzzat for deep Christian expository writings? You may not like writing babe but its a good thing you write anyway :-)

coffeerox said...

ah... so you did read this lah... my bad!

^__^