Wednesday, January 18, 2006

It is going to be a long journey...

I sent an sms to Rachel after my first teeny tiny introduction to some of the things I will or may be involved in. Don't think she got it. in fact don't think she got any sms I sent her. I have so much to say I don't know where to start. First the trivial matter out of the way! I got myself a pair of house slippers - it is so ugly that it is so beautiful! hahaha... I took a pic of it on my phone but I can't send it to anyone (yes I got a new phone and pinching me when I get back is not allowed cos by then the phone is so not new!) so that is out of the way... now... most importantly... I have my work cut out for me (you may want to get a cuppa tea and some biscuits for this)

1. Children's ministry (God save the children!)
The kids here study something called Religious Education where they are exposed to different types of religion and hence places of worship. Met 2 classes today. I saw a boy which was so annoying cute! He is one of those cheeky kids that will eventually annoy you to a point of committing murder BUT he is so adorable. Anyway... what Rev Vaughan and Rev Terry is keen to do is to get the kids in for the family service. Very similar to SMACC in a way. Only thing is the kids are involved in the service itself. They have a box of instruments (tambourines, clarinets) and flags and ribbons. So when there is a fast song, the kids get to take an instrument (and the adults as well) and play. or during a slow song, they can wave the flag or ribbons. so in the end, you get a whole load of uncoordinated noise and mess (hang on, think I told this story before!) but everyone loves it. and that is the key at the end of the day.

anyway... what they would like me to do is be able to work with the kids to bring them to church or do something during the service that gets everyone involved. They are hoping I can get into schools to work as teachers assistants and slowly encourage them to come - at least there is a familiar face in church and they don't feel too alien to it.

2. College students
there is a Mark Barry who apparently is great with evangelism and he goes into the neighboring uni once a week to speak to the students and hopefully get to squeeze in a bit about Christianity in it and then be able to draw them to church. so they are hoping I can go with him to get them to come to our parish since they are near by.

3. how to get the parish more involved - which is the age old question isn't it?
the churches are in an area where by they are not very well off and hence ( I think I mentioned this before) families can't afford to send their kids to music classes and stuff. and they also had a problem with the annual amount that was due to the diocese. But there are ppl who are talented and are capable to serve but just don't want to or are afraid to. Example : a bible study. a lady wants to attend and get to know more about Christ, but she doesn't want to come cos the group consists of 3 other males. so Vaughan wants me to attend and encourage her to come. no problem at all actually BUT the men are 40 above. now how am I going to find common ground with them? we are not even from the same genre let alone culture!

I have enquired what some of their occupations are and hence be able to use their strengths to get them involved in certain areas... but ( I think I said this before...) the congregation is mostly filled with graying hair and walking sticks. so the age factor is a problem - they feel they are too old. but then again, I can't jolly well get a lady in a wheelchair in charge of creche right? but Dill - the lady I am living with is a teacher and she has worked with kids with special needs. now logically, she would be a good person to be put in charge of the Sunday school right? but I am not sure why she was not asked. cos I frankly think she should spend more time in church and not the golf course... but that's my view and of course I am bias to God's work - which is why I am out here in the first place! They used to have holiday camps for kids but getting ppl to manage it is a problem.

I have told them that I am willing to think and plan and help them start whatever programmes they want for the church but I am not interested in starting it and not have anyone to continue it or at least let it sustain itself. if anything I start dies after I leave, I would seriously consider myself a failure. : (

there is also the issue here that because the anglican church is the official establishment in UK, the parish have a legal right to things done in the church. OK.. parish - we consider them members of the church. here parish is members of the community living in that county. So you can be a parish member and not attend the church. but when it fancies you, you can say you want to be married and technically (unless you have been married before) the church has to marry you. or baptize you or do your funeral. they can't turn you away. and no matter if you are not baptized, if you live in the area and you want to baptize your kid, you can. BUT the Godparents must be baptized. (confused?) so coupled with all this issues and I am sure a lot more, (I was warned this is just the tip of the iceberg) I believe this one year is going to be a trying year. I am so going to be stretched!

So I guess... what I would really appreciate is the following...

1. please keep me in your prayers. ( I know I keep asking for this... one can never have too many prayers!)

2. if you have ideas on what I can do with kids on a Sunday service please let me know - email or leave a comment. games, activities, etc. what I can do is adapt it accordingly to our age group here. I am also wondering if I can get copies of vege tales or something and get the kids to watch it. I have to think this carefully cos a) not sure if anyone of you have it, b) would need to copy it and have it sent to me c) long term - what can they do? can't have them watching reruns of vege tales all day right? So I was thinking if I can zone in on a Christian store then maybe I can look out for some materials they can use and keep up to date with.

3. pray I will be able to communicate and be a source of encouragement to the parish and the priests. (and we thought our local churches had issues!)

so there you have it... for now. If you are wondering why the tone of this entry is weird, it was meant to be an email, but after a while I decided to use it as an entry to the blog instead. I don't know why. Oh wait, I do know why. Time is of essence to me and so is the time online. Writhing mails and replying AND also trying to blog is not exceptionally possible. So... I am hoping to kill 2 birds with one stone. But after all this writing, I realize one thing - how am I taking all this in.

Truth, I am a little home sick - missing Rachel and all. But also home sick cos I miss my church. Suddenly all the issues we had seem so trivial by comparison. And also there is this HUGE thing hanging over me. The expectations that is placed on me and it is not just by Vaughan and Terry or the diocese but by God. If God put me here, He certainly had a reason and I pray hard that I do not disappoint Him.

*sigh* Jer 29:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey babes,

Your task may seem daunting but we are all praying for you. If I come across any suggestions, I shall keep you updated! Take care now.

SB